Python Evangelism

rtilley rtilley at vt.edu
Thu Mar 9 12:04:16 EST 2006

Paul Boddie wrote:
> I agree with you here, though. I want to be diplomatic here, but Cheese
> Shop - a name for a package repository, for those who are lost already
> - is really just a totally stupid name. Yes, I'm aware of the Monty
> Python sketch, mediocre by the high standards of the Pythons' various
> other works, but people really shouldn't have to buy into some kind of
> clique to decode terminology in order to get help, support, updates,
> and to learn more about the technology they're using. Some people
> haven't even seen Monty Python...

Even more reason to change the name.

Use a name that has lots of other widely known, well thought of names
associated with it. The Ruby name is a very good example of this.
Although, this was accidental and not planned.

People associate the words precious, valued, gem, treasured, stone
solid, etc. with the word ruby. Also, a good product with a good name
makes it easy for others to add value by building other good names
around it.

What do you think of when you hear 'eggs'? Many people think 'rotten',
'smelly' or something that made them throw-up once. The point of this is
that names _matter_ and influence what others think even if only in a
subconscious way.

I'll leave it at that. I like Python a lot. Technically, it's awesome. I
don't think the language is bad... just the names associated with it.

Just my 2 cents.