Which GUI toolkit is THE best?

Alan Franzoni alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 18:07:52 EST 2006

invitro81 on comp.lang.python said:

> again to make a choice is difficult; is there also some guy liking pyqt
> is it worse or should it be avoided because of the licencing policy for
> qt (which I also like..)?
>
> 	* Which one is the most fun to program with?
> 	* Which one is the most easy to learn?
> 	* Which one looks best?
> 	* Which one is the most productive to program with?

Those are all hard questions. You might as well have asked 'which is the
best web framework'. It's not easy to tell ^_^ It highly depends on which
tasks you're aiming at.

wxPython is a pretty good 'all-round' and cross-platform library, and
includes some non-graphical features. It's got a drawback: it's a wrapper
for the wxwidgets library, and hence it's not very pythonic; you can solve
part of its unpythonicness using wax, which is not very well documented at
the time. wxGlade can be used to design GUI apps with little effort.

pyGTK works well, too. Recent versions perform well and are good looking on
Windows systems as well as Linux and Macs (if you provide an X server).
It's very well documented (better than wxPython, in my opinion) and its
license is quite permissive. It's unpythonic just like wxPython. Glade and
Gazpacho can be used to design GUI apps in a visual way.

pyGUI is a pyGTK-based graphic library which is designed from scratch to be
pythonic. It seems very, very promising but I can't tell you if it's
production-stable since I've tested it just a couple of times. It may be
the funniest and more productive toolkit ever.

FLTK was interesting but seems to lack maintenance and support, pyQT is a
bit 'unfree' for most uses. Tkinter is quite old stuff.

--
Alan Franzoni <alan.franzoni.xyz at gmail.com>
-