RAD tutorials and tools for GUI development with Python?

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 08:55:10 EST 2006

On 3/8/06, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>  I would really like to code a few more widely useable apps, but coding the
> GUI just seems so boring and unnecessarily complex. Maybe I was spoilt by
> Borland's Delphi/Kylix. But is there any way to do as little coding of the
> GUI as possible, and worry about the logic? The best I've seen is using one
> tool with a modification to output python code, which then has to be
> regenerated after any change to the GUI, which to me, kinda defeats the
> "rapid" in RAD.
>
>  Thanks, advice would be much apperciated. If it helps to know, I am
> currently more interested in Python/Gtk (but not because I particularly like
> the look of Gtk)

I would recommend that you take a look at Dabo (http://dabodev.com).
They are in the process of developing exactly the sort of GUI design
tools you are looking for. They're not 100% of the way there yet, as
the project is basically two guys who do this in their free time (and
apparently never sleep!).

On the Documentation page of their site is a list of screencasts where
you can see the GUI design tools in action.
--

# p.d.