Event notification system - where to start ?

grahamd at dscpl.com.au grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Fri Jun 30 00:43:28 EDT 2006

geskerrett at hotmail.com wrote:
> We have been asked to develop and application for a client that is a
> 'notification" system.  We would like to use python, but are struggling
> to find the right starting point.  Any suggestions, tips or sample code
> would be appreciated.
>
> Application outline;
>
> Machine A is running a "listener" application that is connected to a
> another device via the serial post and waits for events.  We have not
> problem working with the serial port, or the waiting for the event to
> happen.
>
> When A received a specific event, it needs to send a message to machine
> B that and event has occurred and that type of event.
>
> Machine B will take the event notification, processes some additional
> information (ie. database lookups) and then notify a series of clients
> that have "registered" with machine B to receive events.
>
> I think this is sometimes called "published/subscriber" ???

This is exactly the sort of thing that OSE is purpose built for. See
recipe from Python Cookbook online at:

  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/81614
  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/81615

OSE can be obtained from:

  http://ose.sourceforge.net

The documentation for the Python wrappers for OSE can be found at:

http://ose.sourceforge.net/browse.php?group=python-manual&entry=manual.htm

Graham