[OT] Re: Python open proxy honeypot

Alex Reinhart alexreinhart at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 13 22:05:45 EDT 2006

Serge Orlov wrote:
> Alex Reinhart wrote:
>> Serge Orlov wrote:
>>> IMHO it's pretty useless, spammers are starting to use botnets, and the
>>> more you make inconvenient to them use open proxies, the more of them
>>> will move to closed botnets.
>> As long as I inconvenience them, or at least catch one or two, I'll be
>> satisfied.
>
> What makes you think that spammers won't discover you're blackholing
> their spam as soon as you start to make some impact on their business?
> They will just skip your proxypots and move to real open proxies.
There are so many spammers and (hopefully) more than one proxypot, so a
stream of less-than-coordinated spammers would probably be caught. The
more coordinated, careful ones would probably avoid them quickly enough,
but I'm sure there are plenty of stupid spammers.

> I think you'll make bigger impact if you implement proxy checking
> software <http://dsbl.org/programs> in Python, so it can run on windows
> too.
That would be a good goal as well.