[OT] Re: Python open proxy honeypot

Serge Orlov Serge.Orlov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 19:22:12 EDT 2006

Alex Reinhart wrote:
> Serge Orlov wrote:
> > IMHO it's pretty useless, spammers are starting to use botnets, and the
> > more you make inconvenient to them use open proxies, the more of them
> > will move to closed botnets.
> As long as I inconvenience them, or at least catch one or two, I'll be
> satisfied.

What makes you think that spammers won't discover you're blackholing
their spam as soon as you start to make some impact on their business?
They will just skip your proxypots and move to real open proxies.

I think you'll make bigger impact if you implement proxy checking
software <http://dsbl.org/programs> in Python, so it can run on windows
too.