Using Komodo 3.5 - Setting breakpoints in multiple *.py files

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Mon Jun 19 15:58:15 EDT 2006

jeem wrote:
> I am using ActiveState Komodo 3.5 to work on a large python 2.4
> application with an extensive UI...  I am attempting to debug the
> application and am setting breakpoints in 4 different *.py files..
> Breakpoints in the main file are working OK, but any breakpoints in
> imported files are not... The three imported files are open in Komodo
> and are in the same local directory as the main file (in the
> python24/Lib/site-packages tree)... The code sections I am trying to
> debug are invoked by some UI events...  When I start the debugging
> section and navigate to the features I am trying to debug, the
> breakpoint are ignored...  I can execute a "Break now" command and the
> IDE is smart enough to find and display imported *.py resources... but
> normal breakpoints are ignored...

It works for me in a trivial example:

C:\trentm\tmp\foo>cat foo.py

print "hi from foo"
import bar
bar.bar()
print "bye from foo"

C:\trentm\tmp\foo>cat bar.py

def bar():
     print "hi from bar.bar()"
     print "bye from bar.bar()"

I set breakpoints on the "import bar" line in foo.py and on the 'print
"hi...' line in "bar.py". Started debugging "foo.py" and the debugger
breaks on both breakpoints.

If you step into the "import" statements in your debug session, are the
imported modules the ones you expect? I.e. in my example the breakpoint
would not have worked if "bar.py" had been imported from another
location on my sys.path.

Note: this might be better discussed on the komodo-discuss mailing list.
(http://listserv.activestate.com/mailman/mysubs)

Cheers,
Trent

--