Which compiler will Python 2.5 / Windows (Intel) be built with?

meyer at mesw.de meyer at mesw.de
Thu Jun 15 13:18:11 EDT 2006

Scott,

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> meyer at mesw.de wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > which compiler will Python 2.5 on Windows (Intel) be built with?
>
> Same as for Python 2.4 (the decision was taken a while ago).
> Intel sells a compatible compiler, I believe.

the problem is not the ABI, but the runtime libraries. From what you're
saying, it looks like we will have to standardize on VS2003. As I said,
we need to buy VS anyway because of the MFC support. On the other hand,
I really worry about all those people that want to build open source
extensions for Python 2.5. It is really possible that there will be no
legal, free way to do that soon if you don't have an old installation
of the 2003 toolkit lying around somewhere... So I'd like to ask you:
why was the decision taken a while ago (and is not subject to
reconsideration) and what are the reasons for using VS2003? I mean
there must be a real good reason why you're doing this, as I only see
disadvantages in it.

Markus