to py or not to py ?

Chandrashekhar kaushik shekhar.kaushik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 03:28:36 EDT 2006

okay
so much for a few spelling errors and abbreviations used by me !!
we are losing the main point !
i had a look at mercurial . It deals with SCM . I am typically
looking at an application thats to deal with geometry data ( tetras ) ,
process millions of them and may be process them repeatedly ( iterative ).
It would basically involve client-server operations to first distribute data
over a computing network and then send requests to process the data
at the various nodes that contain the data.
it is going to be multi-threaded.

Carl , what are the problems that could arise with threading ??

On 6/28/06, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> Serge Orlov wrote:
> > On 6/27/06, Chandrashekhar kaushik <shekhar.kaushik at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >>also is it actually a good idea to write high perf applications in
> python ?
> >

> > Take a look at Mercurial <http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/> sources.
> > It's a high performance python application. Or watch Bryan
> > O'Sullivan's Mercurial presentation
> > <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7724296011317502612> he
> > talks briefly how they made it work fast.
> >
> > But writing high performance application in python requires
> > self-discipline and attention to details, looking at the way you spell
> > I think it will be a challenge ;)
>
> This doesn't distinguish Python: are there any languages that you can
> write high-performance applications in *without* self-discipline and
> attention to details?
>
> regards
>   Steve
> --
> Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC/Ltd          http://www.holdenweb.com
> Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com
> Recent Ramblings     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
>
> --