Popen3 on Windows

SuperHik junkytownMAKNI at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 16:44:49 EDT 2006

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:46:29 -0600, Jeffrey Barish
> <jeff_barish at earthlink.net> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>
>> I start.  Is there a way to do this on Windows?
>
> 	There is no safe, easy, way to reliably kill a program on Windows...
>
> Hmmm, there's one I hadn't know about...
> 	http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips446.html
> Ah, not supplied in WinXP Home (my desktop is Pro)
>
> 	Seems besides taskkill, there is also a tskill with different
> arguments...
>
> 	The M$ response
> 	http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;178893&
>

> 	Granted, these don't explain how to get the PID in the first place
> from Python.
>
> 	If possible, try using the subprocess module... It seems to have a
> PID attribute.

from http://docs.python.org/dev/lib/module-subprocess.html
"""
16.1 subprocess -- Subprocess management

New in version 2.4.

The subprocess module allows you to spawn new processes, connect to
their input/output/error pipes, and obtain their return codes. This
module *intends to replace* several other, older modules and functions,
such as:

os.system
os.spawn*
os.popen*