urllib2 problem with ports.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jun 15 14:09:22 EDT 2006

Ant wrote:

> This gives the output (Stack trace snipped - can post if required):
>
> urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 502: Proxy Error ( The Uniform Resource
> Locator (URL) does not use a recognized protocol. Either the protocol

> This I believe is a problem with the addition of a non-default port.
> Replace the url with "http://google.com" for example, and all is well.
>
> Any ideas for workarounds? Or do I roll back to 2.4.2?

that's not a Python error, so that won't help.

check your proxy configuration.  most likely, your new machine is set up
to route all requests via a remote proxy.

(on windows, you'll find the proxy configuration under "Internet
Options" - "Connections" - "LAN Settings".  before you do anything else,
make sure "Bypass proxy server for local addresses" is checked)

</F>