Installation Problem

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Jun 5 12:41:32 EDT 2006

Marshall Dudley wrote:

> That is what I did originally, downloaded the latest version from the main
> python site.  I compiled by the README file instructions, and I compiled by the
> instructions on the python url which are different, but both gave identical
> results, compiles fine, runs fine from the directory I compiled in, but will
> error out when I move the executible code to and run it from the /usr/local/bin
> or the /usr/local directory.

deep sigh.  alright, one more attempt:

DO NOT copy any binaries yourself, DO NOT use any bogus FreeBSD source
distribution, DO NOT download 2.2.2 if you need Python 2.3 or newer, DO
NOT type random commands into the shell when logged in as root.  etc.

just follow these instructions:

1) go fetch a the latest source code kit from python.org.  I recommend
getting Python-2.4.3.tgz:

    $ wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/Python-2.4.3.tgz

2) unpack the file to a local temporary directory

    $ tar xvfz Python-2.4.3.tar.gz
    $ cd Python-2.4.3

3) in that directory, type the following commands:

    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ ./python

4) verify that the ./python command prints the following:

    Python 2.4.3 [followed by some number, and today's date]
    Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" ...

5) press control-D to leave the interpreter

6) login as root, and type

    # make install

(or use sudo, or whatever mechanism you usually do to run a command as root)

7) log out from root.  that's it.  python is now installed as
"/usr/local/bin/python", *and* as "/usr/local/bin/python2.4".  support
libraries and other files are installed under /usr/local/lib/python2.4
and /usr/local/include/python2.4.

</F>