Installation Problem

Marshall Dudley mdudley at king-cart.com
Mon Jun 5 12:16:10 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Marshall Dudley wrote:
>
> > Is it not possible to install the latest version of python on my FreeBSD
> > system?  Upgrading the FreeBSD is not an option since this is a production
> > system and everything else is working fine.
>
> that's really a FreeBSD question, isn't it?
>
>  > You are using: 2.2.2 (#1, Jun  4 2006, 16:29:13)
>
> Python 2.2.2 was originally released in 2002, but your copy was built
> yesterday?  did the FreeBSD source kit you got really contain a four
> year old release?  heck, it's not even the 2.2 release in the 2.2
> series, and there's been two major releases since then.

No, there was no copy on the system. When I did the make the last time as
directed in the previous message, it downloaded it from the python site, then
compiled and installed it.  The 2.2.2 release is what it downloaded.

> are you sure you cannot get a *prebuilt* newer version from some FreeBSD
> repository?

I did compile a new copy originally, and it worked fine in the directory that I
compiled it in, but when moved to the /usr/local/bin directory where it should
have installed, it complains that it cannot find it's library. It may just be a
matter of what directory I should put the sources into and compile from, but I
can find nowhere that this information is provided, everything I see indicates I
can compile it in any directory.

> or if that's not possible, use the *standard* python.org source kit?
> after all, it's known to build and install on virtually any modern Unix
> or Unix-like system (and most non-Unix systems too), and you're free to
> install it everywhere you want (and the default on Unix is /usr/local,
> so you don't even have to read the README; just make sure you use the
> real thing, instead of some botched FreeBSD-specific source kit).

That is what I did originally, downloaded the latest version from the main
python site.  I compiled by the README file instructions, and I compiled by the
instructions on the python url which are different, but both gave identical
results, compiles fine, runs fine from the directory I compiled in, but will
error out when I move the executible code to and run it from the /usr/local/bin
or the /usr/local directory.

Marshall