Python is fun (useless social thread) ;-)

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 05:45:41 EDT 2006

> No, I learned it because Perl was too dirty and Java to complicated.
> Now it is part of my daily job.

Ditto. I was fed up of writing, compiling and running a java
application just in order to do a quick script. I'd used perl, but
quite frankly perl's a ridiculous language. Ruby looked promising, but
perl had already poisoned my mind against the syntax... Python was
clean, object oriented if you want it, and mature.

> > Also, how did you go about learning it?
>
> Programming, reading this newsgroup, reading the python cookbook,
> reading python source files of the standard library.

> > Are there still some things you feel you need to learn or improve?

I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp of the core language now, but
there's always something that pops up in the group that I find I've not
dabbled in (such as the itertools, which I discovered on the group last
week(?) and have been using to great effect already!).