Python is fun (useless social thread) ;-)

Remi Villatel maxilys at SPAMCOP_tele2.fr
Thu Jun 15 19:57:08 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:

	[---CUT---]
> So out of curiosity, I'm just wondering how everyone else came to learn
> it.
	[---CUT---]

I just needed it. I needed it to recode text files from my old Atari
computer for my Linux box. I had already seen Python sources during some
googling sessions and found them mostly understandable. I also knew it
was already installed so I decided to give it a try.

One night was all I needed to write my "recoder" with nothing more to
help me than the (cryptic) included docs and the examples. Yes, 8 hours
and I had learned arguments passing, files operations, strings
manipulations and even module import with no prior knowledge. I fell in
love with Python.

I still have the source, it's very basic Python and I definitively could
have used a dictionary... but it worked.

 From that moment, Python became my script language. Whenever I need to
write more than 2 lines in Bash, I use Python.

I learned the classes to play with some (rudimentary) artificial
intelligence. I even took part in a contest where I learned 'lambda' and
the generators. The only thing I haven't taken much care about is GUI in
Python. For that, I learned C++...  ;-)

Any way, Python even helps me sometimes to write C++ since I use it to
test my algorithms when it comes to data manipulation. I can feed my
routines on the fly with whatever data I want to see how they react. So
I use Python as a debugger before to even start writing things in C++.
No need to compile or debug in Python. When something goes wrong:
CTRL+C, correct and restart.

Python is fun because it's easy to write, to understand and to use.