Which compiler will Python 2.5 / Windows (Intel) be built with?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 18 04:34:01 EDT 2006

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> I musunderstood you.  I thought you were advocating that Python itself
> be built on gcc, obviating many compiler access issues.  That wouldn't
> work because gcc cannot, by itself (as I understand it) get to all the
> nooks and crannies a windows developer may need to traverse.  I know I
> just repeated my argument here against a strawman, but that was really
> for other readers, not for you.

Even that is incorrect. Python 2.x can be built fully with gcc. It's
PythonWin that includes a lot of C++ and MFC code that won't compile
with gcc. That doesn't preclude to use gcc for Python 2.x compilation,
as long as a msvcrt is selected that can work together with some
version of MFC and the MS C++ RTL.

Regards,
Martin