Which compiler will Python 2.5 / Windows (Intel) be built with?

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Sat Jun 17 20:11:07 EDT 2006

Roel Schroeven wrote:
> ... But what I meant was not related to interface compatibilities, but to
> the performance of the generated code: many people say that the code
> generated by gcc is not as well optimized as code generated by
> Microsoft's compilers. Yet I never hear complaints about that from
> people who use Python on e.g. Linux, where Python is compiled with gcc.
> So, while there might be valid reasons not to use mingw, as far as I can
> see the optimization capabilities of the compiler are not a compelling
> reason.

I musunderstood you.  I thought you were advocating that Python itself
be built on gcc, obviating many compiler access issues.  That wouldn't
work because gcc cannot, by itself (as I understand it) get to all the
nooks and crannies a windows developer may need to traverse.  I know I
just repeated my argument here against a strawman, but that was really
for other readers, not for you.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org