Python or Ajax?

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Fri Jun 9 17:11:03 EDT 2006

Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I've been hearing a ot about AJAX lately. I may have to build a web
> application in the near future, and I was curoius:
>
> How does a web application that uses Python compare with one that uses
> AJAX?
>
> I've done some basic web page design with HTML and CSS, but never any
> web applications. I don't want to learn a new language if I can use
> Python. Would AJAX offer me any significant advantages?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Huey

First: AJAX - Asynchronous JavaScript and XML.

Second: You can't get around JavaScript on the client side, because it is
really the only language that browsers support natively.  You can
certainly use Python, Twisted or Zope for providing XMLRPC services on
the server side.

Google's GWT toolkit (http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/) has you write in Java
and it converts client portions to Javascript (if I'm understanding how it works).

-Larry Bates