C# equivalent to range()

Neuruss neuruss at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 20:55:19 EDT 2006

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) wrote:
> Well, there are reasons to reply to a message stating that it's not on-topic for the group. The most common reaction to receiving no replies is to start a new thread petulantly asking why there were no answers to the original thread. If that one gets no replies the most common reaction is start another new thread stating that Python sucks, the newsgroup sucks, etc.
>
> Not saying that this is what would have happened in this case, but it is the most common sequence of events. Better to head it off before it happens. At least any upset replies tend to be restricted to the one thread ;)
>
> Unfortunately, posting a good response, whilst apparently helpful, tends to encourage further off-topic postings :(
>
> Tim Delaney

Tim,

I don't think it was entirely off topic, although I understand your
point.
It happens that I'm using Ironpython, and I wanted to improve the
performance of a script by writing a c# extension.
Writing extensions in other languages (c, c++ and now c#) is a common
practice amongst python programers, and that was the purpose of my
question.

I asked especifically the equivalence of a couple of python features in
this language.
And I did it here, because chances were that someone would understand
what I was asking, (which was how to translate those python features
into another language).

I could have asked this question in a c# related forum, but then I
should have had to explain how "range" and "extend" work in python...

Actualy, someone replied with a couple of lines, and this was just what
I wanted!
That person was very kind and I'm sure it didn't take more than a few
seconds to write his reply. I'm sure he was satisfied by helping me,
and I was satisfied too by his kind reply.

What about the others?
Are they worried about the storage limit of this forum perhaps?
Or it was the wasted bandwidth?
What was exactly the reason for being that annoyed? Am I forcing them
to read my question or to post a reply?

I grant that perhaps I should have explained why I needed this advice.
But I'm not using this forum to learn another thing. I am a (budding)
python programmer looking for a solution, and my question was very
especific and to the point.

Anyway, if someone still feels that the question is off topic, there
are better ways to point it out (as you're doing now).

If these people's life suck, I suggest they buy a punching bag to
discharge their frustation. I don't think this forum is the best place
for doing it.

Regards,
Neuruss