a good programming text editor (not IDE)

olsongt at verizon.net olsongt at verizon.net
Thu Jun 15 15:42:54 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>
> > jEdit is for me still the best text editor available. Very extensible
> > with macros (which can be written in Jython with the appropriate plugin
> > installed).
>
> I like the idea of being extensible, but of course I can only write in
> Python. Are there any editors that support that?

I can think of one editor that supports that ;-)

http://www.vim.org/htmldoc/if_pyth.html#Python

Seriously though, yes vim is wierd.  Wierd enough that you might think
maybe people just use it because they're trying to proove they're l337
or hardcore, instead of using it for real practical reasons.  But it
really is an amazing text editor once you accept the wierdness.

If you use it for a little bit, one day you'll be editing a document in
Word, or notepad, or SciTE, or Eclipse; you'll instinctively type
'[ESC]:wq', and be suprised that the app is still open.  That's when
you realize there's no turning back.

-Grant
[ESC]:wq <dammit, did it again! />