Active Python versions

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Mon Jun 19 23:15:14 EDT 2006

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> jmdeschamps at gmail.com <jmdeschamps at gmail.com> typed
> in news://1150769349.111390.280450@y41g2000cwy.googlegroups.com,
>
>> Maybe the OP is refering to PythonWin editor (as compared to IDLE)
>> which is in ActiveState's release but not in the Python.org release...
>> makes for a very different subject, and hopefully for very different
>> answer direction.
>
> Yes.  I just wanted to know which programming environment is prefered by
> regular users, maybe even one that I haven't heard of yet.

Ah, the PythonWin IDE/Editor is part of PyWin32 -- which is included as
a standard part of ActivePython. IDLE is also included in ActivePython,
BTW. ActivePython just doesn't setup a shortcut in the Start Menu for
it. You could add your own.

As jean-marc suggests, you might want to search the python-list archives
for peoples opinions on Python IDEs and editors. Also check out:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedDevelopmentEnvironments
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

ActiveState has a Python IDE called Komodo
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/
which I work on (so I'm biased :).

Trent

--