Active Python versions

jmdeschamps at gmail.com jmdeschamps at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 22:49:26 EDT 2006

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> jmdeschamps at gmail.com <jmdeschamps at gmail.com> typed
> in news://1150769349.111390.280450@y41g2000cwy.googlegroups.com,
>
> > Maybe the OP is refering to PythonWin editor (as compared to IDLE)
> > which is in ActiveState's release but not in the Python.org release...
> > makes for a very different subject, and hopefully for very different
> > answer direction.
>
> Yes.  I just wanted to know which programming environment is prefered by
> regular users, maybe even one that I haven't heard of yet.

... try reading this very recent (still active) thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/9577320064fa33eb/7ad49f0d44ecbc47?hl=en#7ad49f0d44ecbc47

My two-grain of salt:
PythonWin is simple and nice BUT breaks if you do Tkinter Gui (and try
to run a program while the previous run isn't finished)
Python Scripter - light, nice, some nice features but missing code
folding, if you like that...
Pydev + Eclipse (Eclipse is Java based plugin type environment) lots of
stuff (to much for some) and heavy [t's Java after all ;-) ]  But
nowadays with RAM, and processor speed - it's nice to do almost every
task in the same basic environment (plugins for almost anything)

BTW Kudos to all the people behind these apps (mark hammond of pywin
fame, kiriakos vlahos for python scripter , and fabio zadrozny for
pydev)

jean-marc