Simple script to make .png thumbnails from .zip archive...

K P S ksheka at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 15:51:06 EDT 2006

Hi.
  I'm looking for a small script that will take a .zip archive and pull
the first .jpg from the archive and convert it to a .png.

The reason for this is I want to have tuhmbnails for these archives in
nautilus under gnome.  I would like something similar to the following
code, which will pull a thumbnail from an openoffice.org (oasis)
document.  What I want is a little more involved, I guess, since I
don't know the name of the file (for the zip.read command), and I need
to convert the file from .jpg to .png once I get it.  Any help would be
appreciated.  Including a pointer to a web page of a manual with
examples. :-)

#!/usr/bin/python

import zipfile
import sys
import gnomevfs

inURL=gnomevfs.get_local_path_from_uri(sys.argv[1])
outURL=sys.argv[2]

zip=zipfile.ZipFile(inURL,mode="r")
picture=zip.read("Thumbnails/thumbnail.png")
thumbnail=open(outURL,"w")
thumbnail.write(picture)
thumbnail.write("/n")
zip.close()