New to Python: Do we have the concept of Hash in Python?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jun 29 08:36:37 EDT 2006

Ten wrote:

>>Are you serious?
>>--
>>Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
>>Private email: piet at vanoostrum.org
>

> It's not that unfeasible - I can think of a few instances off the top of my head where
> management have read something in a magazine or heard something in conversation, then
> come in full of vim and vigour the next day - telling people to create item X using buzzword
> technology Y by the end of the day, the week or whatever, despite the devs having never seen it,
> despite the timescale being insufficient, and despite there being *real* work to do.

[obYorkshireman] You were lucky. Mine used to come in like this *every
bloody Monday morning*. British readers familiar with Kenneth Grahame's
"The Wind in the Willows" will recognise a technological Mr. Toad here.
The guy wanted to hit every available technology with a technical staff
of two people, and seriously appeared to believe that he could just keep
doing this until he came upon one that made money. Until it did he had
the pleasure of bitching about how much of his money the company was
swallowing. The last words I ever uttered to that man were a
physiological impossibility. [Feels better].

> Even if it's just because they want to see it, or to impress other management types with their
> use of the latest "trend", I believe the best response is to just get on with it.
> Self-preservation and all that.

Clearly it's good press for Python if it *could* pass this test of
usability. Don't see Perl users doing that (though, to be fair, I'm very
little involved with Perl now). And since the boss signs the cheques,
one should mollify them when ethically possible.

> Even so, the idea of using python across the company is actually a very sensible one, so I expect
> it's programmer's enthusiasm fuelling things in this case.

That's right, blame the poor technical staff ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com