Remote Boot Manager Scripting (Python)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Jun 23 16:24:00 EDT 2006

diffuser78 at gmail.com writes on 21 Jun 2006 07:43:17 -0700:
> I have to remotely start a computer. It has dual boot (WinXP and
> Linux).
> My remote computer is Linux which will send command to remotely boot
> the other computer.
>
> Can we write python script or some utility which would let us select
> the Operating System to boot ? For example If we send parameter "WIN"
> it boots into Windows and if we send "NIX" it boots into Linux.

Probably yes -- but it is rather a remote boot protocol
than a Python questions.

Your remote boot protocol must in some way specify which
os should be booted. When you implement the client site
boot protocol in Python and you know how to select the os,
then simply do it.

I can tell something about "grub" (GRand Unified Boot loader).
It can be configured to be controlled by a serial line.
In this case, the boot protocol would be very simple:
send "down" characters to the serial line until the correct
os is selected; then send a "return" to boot.

It would be trivial for a small Python script (with access to this
serial line) to implement this.

Dieter