New to Python: Do we have the concept of Hash in Python?

A.M alanalan at newsgroup.nospam
Fri Jun 2 12:16:21 EDT 2006

"Sion Arrowsmith" <siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
news:eYk*yxbir at news.chiark.greenend.org.uk...
> gregarican <greg.kujawa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>I came from using Ruby about a year or so [ ... ]
>
> That's an interesting way round. Why did you consider Python if
> you already knew Ruby, and which is now your preferred language?
> (I've no interest in learning Ruby, but from what I've seen of it
> I similarly can't imagine what would motivate me to learn Python.)
>
> --
> \S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
>  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the
> other"
>  \X/  |    -- Arthur C. Clarke
>   her nu becomeþ se bera eadward ofdun hlæddre heafdes bæce bump bump bump

My decision wasn't based on which language I am most comfortable with. I can
do the same application in Java in one hour. We are looking for a scripting
language to use across our organization. This is a strategic decision. Out
1st choice is Python, the second one is Perl and the last one is Ruby.
Yesterday I proof that Python is way to go.

The programming language aspects of Ruby is a brilliant, but the language
itself is not everything. I encountered some problem with Ruby and I found
it is not there yet. Here is some of problems I have with ruby: (consider
the fact that it is my personal opinion)

1)      Ruby community feel that there is strong database access support. I
personally didn't find DBI distribution and documentation very organized and
at the production level. For example, DBI:OCI8 is at experimental state.
http://www.jiubao.org/ruby-oci8/ Oracle data access support is very
important for me and DBI:OCI8 is the only way you can get data from Oracle
stored procedures.

2)      Komodo (my favorite scripting IDE) crashes when I debug certain type
of Ruby scripts. Moreover there is no ActiveRuby from ActiveState **yet**.

3)      You can find lots of excellent Python books from OREILLY. You don't
have much option for Ruby **yet**.

4)      Ruby became famous because of Rails. Rails is a great idea, but I am
so focused on ASP.NET and J2EE and I am going to stay there. Rails doesn't
have a production level support for IIS. So I am not very interested in
Rails.

In essence, Ruby language is the best, but Ruby platform is too young for
me. I'll give Ruby another two years and come back to it again.

I found the Python language quite powerful and easy. With mature and strong
community support.