XML, JSON, or what?

A.T.Hofkamp hat at se-126.se.wtb.tue.nl
Thu Jun 8 03:27:57 EDT 2006

On 2006-06-08, Frank Millman <frank at chagford.com> wrote:
> I would rather make a decision now, otherwise I will have a lot of
> changes to make later on. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Did you consider XMPP?
With XMPP you create XML streams between your server and the client.
XMPP is an open standard (by the IETF).

Jabber (jabber.org) is based on the XMPP standard. They develop protocols on
XMPP for all kinds of data exchange. Currently, it is mainly used for chatting,
but we use it in-house as publish/subscribe to control some machines too.
They do a lot of thinking about scalabilty, privacy, authentication, and all
that other stuff you need to do when you put some service on the internet.

They also have protocols for using a GUI interactively (much like the wizards
of Win* do, you get one page of things to decide, you press 'next', you get the

Albert