to py or not to py ?

Chandrashekhar kaushik shekhar.kaushik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 08:37:30 EDT 2006

> it is going to be multi-threaded.

> >... because?

one thread listens for incoming requests . as soon as a request arrives ( a
connection is made ) the thread verifies the request and starts another
thread where the request is processed ( typically  some algorithm is run on
the data ).The first thread immediately goes back to listening for new
connections.

On 6/28/06, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chandrashekhar kaushik wrote:
> > okay
> > so much for a few spelling errors and abbreviations used by me !!
> > we are losing the main point !
> > i had a look at mercurial . It deals with SCM . I am typically
> > looking at an application thats to deal with geometry data ( tetras ) ,
> > process millions of them and may be process them repeatedly ( iterative
> ).
> > It would basically involve client-server operations to first distribute
> data
> > over a computing network and then send requests to process the data
> > at the various nodes that contain the data.
>
> I do essentially the same thing (only with pickles of constructive solid
> geometry definitions).
>
> > it is going to be multi-threaded.
>
> ... because?
>
> > Carl , what are the problems that could arise with threading ??
>
> An old, but still relevant overview is here:
>
>    http://www.softpanorama.org/People/Ousterhout/Threads/index.shtml
>
> A good event-driven framework for Python is Twisted. It's what I use for
> the
> program I mention above.
>
>    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/
>
> --
> Robert Kern

> enigma
>   that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though
> it had
>   an underlying truth."
>    -- Umberto Eco
>
> --