what are you using python language for?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Jun 6 12:05:30 EDT 2006

On 2006-06-06, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>>  4) Miscellaneous other stuff like grabbing all of the comic
>>     strips I like every day and putting them on a local web
>>     page so I can read them all in one place
>
> I wonder how many other folks have done this too.  It was my
> first pet Python project, converting a Java rendition of the same
> app into Python.  Shorter, clearer, faster, better...
>
> Mine uses my older Java config file (which, while tinkering with
> Java's XML libraries, ended up being XML),

Mine just has lists of strip/source pairs at the top of the
source code.

> supports Referrer/Referer spoofing,

Yup.  Although I wouldn't actually call mine "spoofing". Since
I do grab the end URL from the referrer every time, it really
is referring me to the server where the image is.

> searches pages for regexps so that I can find image URLs that
> have been munged with random numbers (like dilbert.com does).
> It then builds a local HTML file that points at all the
> locally-saved images.

> I wonder what other sorts of features folks have added in their
> comic-snatchers...

Mine scales the images up by 50% -- the native image size
provided by the distributors is just too small on my 19"
1280x1024 screen.

> I tried a multi-threaded version in Java, but had problems
> with it saturating my dialup connection, and returning some
> sort of errors (perhaps in violation of HTTP's suggestion that
> one only have, IIRC, 2 connections to a server at a given
> time).  I might try it again with Python.  I saw some
> function-call fly by recently that looked like it took a
> function reference and an array of parameter-arrays, and
> spawned a thread for each function.  I foolishly deleted that
> message, but it shouldn't be too hard to scare up again.  I
> think it involved importing something from the future.  A nice
> little status-GUI would be a nice addition, but I'm too lazy
> to go that far, leaving it with just a TUI.  Might be a good
> way to learn Python GUI programming...

Mine runs as a cron job every morning before I get to the
office (which is where I read them -- don't tell anybody).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Why was I BORN?
                                  at