Again, Downloading and Displaying an Image from the Internet in Tkinter

Dustan DustanGroups at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 08:37:04 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Dustan wrote:
>
> > Ok, that worked (was it plain w or the writelines/readlines that messed
> > it up?).
>
> the plain "w"; very few image files are text files.
>
>  > But Tkinter still can't find the image. I'm getting an error
> > message:
> >
> > TclError: image "C:\Documents and [pathname snipped]" doesn't exist
> >
> > If it makes a difference, I'm on a Windows XP machine, and don't have
> > to go cross-platform.
>
> the "image" option takes a PhotoImage object, not a file name:
>
>      http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/photoimage.htm
>
> note that the built-in PhotoImage type only supports a few image
> formats; to get support for e.g. PNG and JPEG, you can use PIL which
> ships with it's own PhotoImage replacement:
>
>      http://effbot.org/imagingbook/imagetk.htm

Thanks for the information.

The reason I hadn't made any attempt before is well illustrated here; I
didn't have enough information at my disposal to know where to start
and how I it works. My references are more basic-level than that (I do
have a better reference to look to, but it's currently inaccessible).