Immutability

Georg Brandl g.brandl-nospam at gmx.net
Wed Jun 28 09:51:14 EDT 2006

Steve Holden wrote:

>>>Thanks very much.  And, what's more, I have even found its documentation!
>>>Whatsnew2.2.  The 2.4.2 reference is, er, unhelpful.
>>

>> Is it?
>>
>> http://docs.python.org/lib/built-in-funcs.html
>>
>> documents "property" quite well.
>>
> I can't really agree that "quite good" documentation doesn't refer to
> the use of property as a decorator. It's obvious that a ncessary upgrade
> to the docs didn't happen (and we can all understand why, I am sure).

In my opinion property isn't really meant to be used as a decorator since
it's impossible to create a read-write property. The decorator pattern
doesn't really fit here.

What I agree is that it's not really defined what a "property" object
is and what its properties are. For that, documentation patches are
welcome.

Georg