Reddit broke - should have remained on Lisp?

Alok writetoalok at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 30 11:02:22 EDT 2006

Luis M. González wrote:

Luis,
   Thank you very much for you detailed and careful response. I very
much appreciate your comments.

> Alok wrote:
> > Luis M. González wrote:
> > >
> > > That's exactly what I'm doing.
> >
> > You misinterpret, I was talking about my experience with the site and
> > inviting response from other people about their experience with the
> > site. Now, I don't know much about python or lisp, but I have read
> > about this web-site's history with the two programming languages. And
> > hence I chose to post in comp.lang.lisp and comp.lang.python.
> >
> >      Now if there were a reddit.technology.lisp or
> > reddit.technology.python, and if they had the same traction as these
> > usenet groups, then I could have posted there. But that was not an
> > option was it.

> > > I think it can be interpreted in many ways.
> >
> > Can you please explain what your interpretation is?
> >
> > > Now if you're not ready to read other people's oppinions, don't ask.
> > >

> > Now, I think you are unfairly prejudiced about my not wanting to read
> > other people's opinion. I would rather have a 1000 acrid responses to
> > something I write and learn from it, than post into a responseless
> > vacuum.

> > > Ok.
>
> Dear Alok,
>
> I think is you who are misinterpreting me (or I didn't make myself
> clear).
> You posted a link to a joke from reddit, which is perfectly fine, is
> very funny.
> But below, you added a comment wondering whether the change from Lisp
> to Python may be a reason for a huge performance loss.

I did not intend to comment on Python or Lisp but yes, I have aired my
subjective observations about the site and in the context of the
technologies used. And I hoped that other users may respond with
comments if they have experienced any similar issues using the site.

If I have implied an indication that the change from Lisp to Python was
the reason that the site became 3 times slower, then I have slipped in
unintended innuendos. And I must accept that I have to be more careful
about it.

> I'm not a python bigot, but I just said that blamming a language choice
> for such a deficieny was ridiculous. There are hundreds of very complex
> web sites developed in python that doesn't suffer these problems, and,
> even if they are developed in python, you must take into account which
> other technologies they are using for deployment (web server,
> framework, mod_python, cgi, fastcgi, hardware, etc, etc...).
> Also, the fact that someone could be more versed or knowledgeable of
> one language compared to another one, doesn't make it better or worse.
> This is s subjective fact, and has nothing to do with the language. It
> has to do with who's using the language.
>
> Also, as someone pointed out above, don't you think that the huge
> incresement of traffic since they switched to python may have had
> something to do with this problem?
> Perhaps, their lack of experise in a new language didn't prepare them
> for facing such a challenge. Who knows? Yeah, perhaps if they sticked
> to Lisp, they could have handled the problem better. They are lispers,
> aren't they?
>
> Anyway, you posted a comment, you asked for opinons, you got mine.
> Sorry if I ofended you. It wasn't my intention.

There is no offense taken or hurt feelings. But yes, detailed responses
(and smileys) do make conversations more rewarding.