Import: Multiple modules with same name

Amit Khemka khemkaamit at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 02:46:19 EDT 2006

Hello All,

I have multiple modules with same name in different directories (well
I guess thats may not be a good practise, but i needed it for
debugging and working with various versions). Now how do I import a
module with specifying a path.

Few minutes of googling suggested:

import ihooks
import os

def my_import(filename):
   loader = ihooks.BasicModuleLoader()
   path, file = os.path.split(filename)
   name, ext  = os.path.splitext(file)
   module = loader.find_module_in_dir(name, path)
   if not module:
        raise ImportError, name
   module = loader.load_module(name, module)
   return module

But It looked like an overkill, Is there a more elegant and better way
of doing it ?

Thanks in advance,

cheers,
amit.