creating and naming objects

Brian bnblazer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 12:05:58 EDT 2006

I have a question that some may consider silly, but it has me a bit
stuck and I would appreciate some help in understanding what is going
on.

For example, lets say that I have a class that creates a student
object.

Class Student:
    def setName(self, name)
        self.name = name
    def setId(self, id)
        self.id = id

Then I instantiate that object in a method:

def createStudent():
    foo = Student()
    /add stuff

Now, suppose that I want to create another Student.  Do I need to name
that Student something other than foo?  What happens to the original
object?  If I do not supplant the original data of Student (maybe no id
for this student) does it retain the data of the previous Student
object that was not altered?  I guess I am asking how do I
differentiate between objects when I do not know how many I need to
create and do not want to hard code names like Student1, Student2 etc.

I hope that I am clear about what I am asking.

Thanks,
Brian