Bug reporting impossible

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 29 12:53:45 EDT 2006

In article <e804cs$ppb$1 at news.albasani.net>,
Georg Brandl <g.brandl-nospam at gmx.net> writes:

|> You should have said what the bug is.

Well, maybe, but it is more amusing than serious.  I have now reported it
properly, as Sourceforge is back up.

|> The problem is that Python does not know whether a file name is bogus
|> or an actual file. So it was assumed that names like "<stdin>" or "<string>"
|> are safe enough to use them as subsitutes.

That is no justification for spuriously executing a file called '<stdin>'
when attempting to produce a diagnostic for one called 'fred'.  strace
or equivalent shows up clearly what the bug is.

|> I don't know whether this is worth fixing.

It's definitely worth fixing, but not as a high priority.  Invoking a
file spuriously is potentially serious, with very low probability.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.