How to force a thread to stop

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jul 28 05:42:59 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:
> > Whether this solves the questioner's problems remains to be seen, but
> > issues of handling SSH-based communications streams do seem to be
> > addressed.
>
> Actually I don't understand the need for SSH.  This is traffic over a
> LAN, right?  Is all of the LAN traffic encrypted?  That's unusual; SSH
> is normally used to secure connections over the internet, but the
> local network is usually trusted.  Hopefully it's not wireless.

I don't run any wireless networks, but given the apparently poor state
of wireless network security (as far as the actual implemented
standards in commercially available products are concerned), I'd want
to be using as much encryption as possible if I did.

Anyway, the py.execnet thing is presumably designed to work over the
Internet and over local networks, with the benefit of SSH being that it
applies well to both domains. Whether it's a better solution for the
questioner's problem than established alternatives such as PVM (which
I've never had the need to look into, even though it seems
interesting), various distributed schedulers or anything else out
there, I can't really say.

Paul