How to force a thread to stop

Carl J. Van Arsdall cvanarsdall at mvista.com
Thu Jul 27 15:42:56 EDT 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:
> "Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Whether this solves the questioner's problems remains to be seen, but
>> issues of handling SSH-based communications streams do seem to be
>> addressed.
>>

> Actually I don't understand the need for SSH.  This is traffic over a
> LAN, right?  Is all of the LAN traffic encrypted?  That's unusual; SSH
> is normally used to secure connections over the internet, but the
> local network is usually trusted.  Hopefully it's not wireless.

The reason for ssh is legacy.  I think the person who originally set
things up (it was an 8 node farm at the time) just used ssh to execute
commands on the remote machine.  It was a quick and dirty approach I
believe, but at the time, it wasn't worth investing in anything better.
Just setup some keys for each node and use ssh (as opposed to rexec or
something else, I doubt they put much thought into it).  Its not a need
as much as I was working with what was handed, and as in many projects,
it becomes difficult to change everything at once.  So the goal was to
change what we had to and abstract the ssh calls away so that we could
do something better later.

-c

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall