running python from a memory stick?

Thu Jul 13 10:18:52 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to 'install' and use Python on a memory stick, just as
>> you would on any computer? I use Windows, and I know the installation
>> does things with the registry, so probably I couldn't use the executable
>> file to install it.
>
> just install it as usual on C:, and copy the \python24 directory, plus the python24.dll
> from \windows\system32, to a suitable directory on the stick.  you can use a tool like
> exemaker:
>
>     http://effbot.org/zone/exemaker.htm
>
> to provide EXE loaders for your scripts.

Interesting. I didn't think it would be that easy. But I don't think I
fully understand what exemaker does. Another question I had was since I
won't be using a Windows registry, would I have to put the #! line on my
scripts like in Linux? Is this what exemaker takes care of? Is it
possible to *not* use exemaker, but still run scripts from the stick
(such as with using the #! line?).

Thanks.