running python from a memory stick?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jul 13 10:36:43 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:

> Interesting. I didn't think it would be that easy. But I don't think I
> fully understand what exemaker does. Another question I had was since I
> won't be using a Windows registry, would I have to put the #! line on my
> scripts like in Linux?

windows doesn't care about the #! line, so you'd have to run the
scripts as e.g.

    e:\py24\python.exe myscript.py

> Is this what exemaker takes care of?

exemaker simply maps

    foobar.exe

    python.exe foobar.py

and uses the #! line plus a bunch of heuristics to locate the various parts
of the Python install.

you can of course use BAT-files as well (but exemaker EXE's look like
real applications if you look at them in the task manager).

> Is it possible to *not* use exemaker, but still run scripts from the stick

sure (using the explicit "python.exe scriptfile" form).

</F>