Exercises for dive into python

Gerard Flanagan grflanagan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 14:22:08 EDT 2006

Ben Edwards (lists) wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 16:39 +0000, Tal Einat wrote:
> > Ben Edwards (lists <lists <at> videonetwork.org> writes:
> >

> > > Have been working through Dive Into Python which is excellent.  My only
> > > problem is that there are not exercises.  I find exercises are a great
> > > way of helping stuff sink in and verifying my learning.  Has anyone done
> > > such a thing?
> > >
> > > Ben
> > >

> > I recently gave a Python crash-course in my company, and ran into the same
> > problem. There are many good Python tutorials, manuals, references etc., most
> > are accompannied by various code examples, but there are very few exercises. I
> > had a hard time collecting and inventing a few good exercises, about 12 in all.
> >
> > There are probably some good exercises out there, but they seem to be relatviely
> > hard to find. Maybe they should be collected and organized at Python.org?
>
> That sounds like an exelent idea.  Maybe the way to structure it is by
> book/chapter.
>

> > I think building a large collection of good Python exercises could help both
> > those teaching Python and those learning it. Also, gathering a set of Python
> > exercises for those learning general programming concepts (variables, functions,
> > object-oriented, etc.) could help spread the use of Python for teaching
> > programming.
>
> I think there is little doubt about this.  The reason I liked the
> 'Thinking in Java' book was it had 10 exercises at the end of each
> chapter.  I would not more onto a chapter until I had completed them
> all.

This is something I had planned for the suggested tutorial restructure
at the 'pytut' wiki here:

    http://pytut.infogami.com/gerard_refactor

I had hoped (and hope!) to add exercises at the end of each chapter.
It's a wiki of course so if you've any ideas, feel free...

That said, I don't know how visible this sight is among the community -
it's been quiet for a few months - or if it's even on the radar of the
'Powers That Be', whoever (or whatever ;^) ) they are...

But it's there anyway.  The main pages are (obviously):

    http://pytut.infogami.com

Gerard