Exercises for dive into python

Ben Edwards (lists) lists at videonetwork.org
Tue Jul 25 10:29:13 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 23:16 +0200, Tal Einat wrote:

snip...

>         >
>         >
>         > I recently gave a Python crash-course in my company, and ran
>         into the same
>         > problem. There are many good Python tutorials, manuals,
>         references etc., most
>         > are accompannied by various code examples, but there are
>         very few exercises. I
>         > had a hard time collecting and inventing a few good
>         exercises, about 12 in all.
>         >
>         > There are probably some good exercises out there, but they
>         seem to be relatviely
>         > hard to find. Maybe they should be collected and organized
>         at Python.org?
>
>         That sounds like an exelent idea.  Maybe the way to structure
>         it is my
>         book/chapter.
>
> You probably meant "by book/chapter".
>
> Well, that would be fine, but it's up to whoever wrote "dive into
> Python" to update it.
> I was actually suggesting a central repository for Python exercises,
> all in the public domain, so that they could be used by anyone
> learning or teaching Python (or programming in general).

I don't think this is necessarily the case.  I am fairly sure the
problem is not the people writing books do not have a way of publishing
the excesses, its just they have hot the time or inclination to do so.

what I was suggesting was a wiki type site where exercises could be
worked on collaboratively.  The authors should not have a problem with
this as it would add value to there work and make it more desirable.

Ben

>         >
>         > I think building a large collection of good Python exercises
>         could help both
>         > those teaching Python and those learning it. Also, gathering
>         a set of Python
>         > exercises for those learning general programming concepts
>         (variables, functions,
>         > object-oriented, etc.) could help spread the use of Python
>         for teaching
>         > programming.

snip...