Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

gregarican greg.kujawa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 07:58:20 EDT 2006

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Please define "security". I fail to see how language-inforced access
> restriction (and mandatory declarative static typing etc) relates to
> 'security'. As far as I'm concerned, security is about protecting a
> system from piracy, not about inflicting useless pain to programmers.

I must agree here. When I am coding I appreciate ease of referencing
things above and beyond a language tying my hands behind my back
supposedly in the name of security. If I am savvy enough and know what
I am doing I can create classes, methods, etc. that implement an
effective security model in terms of encapsulation and hiding. But
there are times that I am creating something that I don't want boxed in
by the language enforcing all of this for me. It's like when people
dismiss PHP as a supposedly insecure language. It's more a problem of
too many newly initiated PHP developers not using techniques they
should be to create secure applications.