Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Jul 26 18:49:47 EDT 2006

Joe Knapka <jk.usenet at kneuro.net> writes:

> John J. Lee wrote:
>
> > The fact that "open classes" are apparently thought to be a good thing
> > in Ruby puzzles (and worries) me.
>
> This objection strikes me as having the same
> nature as, "Python's lack of strong protection for
> class members puzzles (and worries) me".

No, it doesn't.

I didn't express myself clearly enough.

> The Pythonic
> answer to that objection is usually that this is a
> feature: it lets people who know what they're doing
> solve problems more easily than if they had to work
> around a bunch of "helpful" protection.

Yes.  Simplifying a bit: It is not considered a good thing to take
advantage of that.  Rather, it is considered a good thing *to be able*
to take advantage of it.

In stark contrast, I'm told that some Ruby users claim that open
classes are a good thing for everyday cases, rather than as a last
resort with serious costs.  Even for builtin types!!  I don't know if
that's true, it's just what I've heard.  Hmm, googled a bit and found
this:

http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=123&thread=120400

That single datapoint seems to support what I've heard!

> Classes are effectively open in Python, too, at least
[...]

Quite.

John