EuroPython 2006 and Py3.0

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jul 17 07:35:44 EDT 2006

Nick Vatamaniuc wrote:
>>The real problems with the Py3k list seem to be associated with a number
>>of people who, despite having had little apparent connection to the
>>language until now, have joined the list and started making
>>inappropriate suggestions, which then have to be (patiently) rejected.
>

> Steve,
>
> What does a 'connection to the language' mean? Does it mean 'using' it
> for years or 'being involved in its actual development' for years?  It
> seems that sometimes a newcomer can actually bring in a fresh idea.
> What new users think and what bothers them is actually important. The
> reason Python became so popular is because it attracted so many new
> users. If anyone has a reasonable suggestion, let them post it to this
> group, see what the reaction is,  then let them write a proposal in the
> right format using all the procedures and all.  Looking forward to
> Python 3000 this is the time to do it. Rejections do take time but they
> will just have to happen, out of 10 rejected maybe there will be one
> good proposal that will make Python a little better.

I have no objection to anyone posting in this group, but the Py3k list
is about the future of the language. For Python to remain Python it need
to retain precisely those characteristics that have seen it rise to its
current popularity. While new ideas are a good thing it would be
completely inappropriate to produce a language that no longer seems
"Pythonic". In order to retain pythonicity, therefore, it seems to me
that those who decide nt he future of the language should have at least
*some* practical experience of a) language design and b) Python.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119