Web Browser Pygame Plug-in?

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:17:36 EDT 2006

Gregory Piñero wrote:
> That's interesting, Ben.  So we'd be better off making a new library
> similiar to Pygame in functionality but designed from the ground up to
> work in a browser.

In open source community, that would be YOU since you are the one with
the need :-). Maybe you can make "Python WebStart".

Running foreign native code from a browser has long been abandoned as a
bad idea since ActiveX spyware proliferation (which BTW, is another way
to package your game as. Although that would effectively restrict it to
IE just like XPCOM would restrict it to Mozilla family). Plus your
users will have to download Python somehow (Python is not as widespread
as Java or Flash on consumer desktops), either as part of the game or
independently. And finally, if PyGame was written in pure Python
without taking advantage of SDL to be fully cross-platform, it would
likely not be fast anymore. It better be a REALLY great game to go with
all these issues :-).

> I guess that XPCOM technology that someone
> mentioned might be the way to go?

It is far simpler to just use Jython and some Java Game library instead
of PyGame if browser delivery is that important to you.