Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Jaroslaw Zabiello hipertracker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 11:32:39 EDT 2006

On 26 Jul 2006 08:16:21 -0700, aaronwmail-usenet at yahoo.com wrote:

>> E.g. try to extends or redefine builtin Python classes on fly. Ruby is so
>> flexible that it can be used to create Domain-specific Programming
>> Languages.
>
> This, of course, is really cool if you are working
> all by yourself on a dissertation or something,
> but can be completely disasterous if you are
> actually working with other people who need to
> know what the expressions of the programming
> language mean and do.

This should not be problem in real life. Look at Ruby on Rails. This is
excellent example of DSL in action. Rails uses customized Ruby to create
very friendly web framework. So there is no possible to create such simple
and friendly framework in other language than Ruby (and Smalltalk which has
the same feature)

Of course, I you like, you can freeze every object you want and nobody can
be able to open and change it. You can also trace all activity for changing
something to objects because Ruby has nice system hooks implemented. Ruby
has nice security system (private, protected, public scopes for methods and
attributes, objects freezing, system hooks). In past Python had Bastion
module (http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-Bastion.html) but it was
rejected and now Python has nothing. Java guys can favor Ruby also because
of its security.

--
Jarosław Zabiełło
http://blog.zabiello.com