Python for Embedded Systems?

Jack nospam at invalid.com
Fri Jul 14 13:19:10 EDT 2006

Is there a Python packaging that is specifically for
embedded systems? ie, very small and configurable so the
user gets to select what modules to install?

For Linux-based embedded systems in particular?

I'm thinking of running it on the Linksys's Linux-based open
source router WRT54G. It has 4MB flash and 16MB RAM. I think
another model has 16MB flash. Any possibilities of running
Python on these systems?

If Python is not the best candidate for embedded systems because
of the size, what (scripting) language would you recommend?

PHP may fit but I don't quite like the language. Anything else?
Loa is small but it does not seem to be powerful enough.