Python and real-time OS timing/task communication?

Ray Schumacher rays at blue-cove.com
Mon Jul 24 14:55:35 EDT 2006

Has anyone used Python and a hard real-time OS/patch to schedule timed events?
We have started in on Debian and RTAI, and may be using LXRT.
(I've been reading http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~psoetens/lxrt/portingtolxrt.html)
I was envisioning that we really only need a separate RT-process in C using RDTSC or ACPI clocking that can get its control messages from non-RT Python every 50ms or so, to toggle pins on parport0.
Any pointers, examples, etc for communicating from Python to an RT task?

Thanks,
Ray