Need a compelling argument to use Django instead of Rails

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Jul 28 05:50:09 EDT 2006

Ben Sizer wrote:

> In my case, multimedia and game support is patchy,

There are lots of multimedia and game frameworks for Python. Which ones
have you tried and why are they insufficient?

> and web development support is still oriented towards the Java/enterprise user - if CGI
> doesn't suffice, that is.

Certainly, some Web frameworks have some element of Java flavouring,
but there's also considerable diversity at least at certain levels.

> In the original poster's case, it's seemingly because specific database support seems to
> be lacking. Improving the libraries in these areas would hopefully increase the diversity
> of Python's potential applications rather than diminish it.

Last time I checked, which was admittedly a long time after I actually
needed the modules concerned, support for Oracle with Python was
actually pretty good. I suppose it's a case of the Django people
getting round to gluing the Oracle modules to their object-relational
mapper and making sure that it all still works, and perhaps some
motivated member of the Django community can step forward and do the
work to get it going. Otherwise, no amount of complaining will put the
two technologies together.

Paul