Installation of python on my workspace.

Lunpa theLunpa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 02:03:08 EDT 2006

pyguru at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had two questions. I am new to Unix and Python. I wanted to get
> python installed on my unix terminal without too much interference from
> the administrator. How can I do this?
>
> It seems python is already installed at some location. But when i type
> Idle I am not able to get the Integrated Environment(IDLE). There is
> already the Tkinter.py installed . Do i have to modify my profile and
> add any environment variables to my .profile to get it going.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it, if anyone could help me with this.
> Thanks.

As far as I know, my linux instalation of python doesn't have an IDE,
but it could be different for your situation.  If it is, the command is
probably not called "idle" (that does something else normaly).

You can always use an existing text editor.  If python itself is
installed, you should be able to type "python" to bring up the
interperiter, or "python filename.py" to run filename.py.